Looking forward to installing synthetic grass in your garden for the first time?
Synthetic grass is great for modern gardens thanks to its low upkeep, low maintenance costs, and long-lasting materials. It’s also great for homeowners who want more flexibility in designing their garden.
However, one thing that many potential owners (and even existing owners) don’t realise is that you have to replace the infill of synthetic grass once every few years.
While it may seem inconvenient, replacing your lawn’s infill is very simple; our guide today will cover everything you need to know about synthetic grass infill and why is it so important for your garden.
What is a synthetic grass infill?
Synthetic grass infill is a type of material (normally green coloured sand) that is put in between synthetic grass for several reasons.
What are the different types of synthetic grass infill?
There are 3 main types of infill: silica, crumb rubber, and organic infill.
Over here at BuildMat, we provide silica infills for homeowners as it is the best choice for people who want synthetic lawns that feel and look natural.
Silica sand infill is the original infilling material for synthetic grass as it is safe, cheap, and natural. What we mean by safe is that silica sand is non-toxic and is chemically stable which means that you don’t have to worry about being harmful to the people around you.
Silica sand provides durability and strength to your synthetic grass as well as preventing bacteria from growing. Your grass will also feel natural as you are using sand similar to the ones in natural grass.
The alternative to silica sand is crumb rubber infills. Crumb rubber infills are usually made up of recycled tyres and rubber. It is safe and has been approved for use by worldwide guidelines and agreements.
Rubber crumb infills can be used in conjunction with silica sand to provide even more support; it can also be used by itself. However, rubber crumb infills are rather rough on the feet and it can look off-putting to some homeowners as it is dark in nature.
Organic infills are made from natural products such as corks or coconut skin. These infills can be recycled and reused but it is expensive and very hard to get outside of North America.
Why do I need to put sand on artificial grass?
Think of synthetic grass infill or sand as a material that supports the structure of your fake grass lawn. Infill allows the fibres of synthetic grass to stand firm which makes it look and feel like natural grass.
Without it, the fibres of the grass will “wilt” or lay down which makes the appearance of synthetic grass look a bit unattractive. The infill also weighs down and stabilises the artificial grass which makes it stay in place.
In summer and winter, the infill also keeps your synthetic grass in shape; you won’t need to stretch and reshape it every time the season changes which can make your synthetic grass look like a carpet if you don’t have infill.
In addition to that, grass infill also helps to achieve:
- A cushioning effect on your artificial turf. The infill gives a bouncy and cushioning effect that is similar to natural grass. The infill also absorbs shock from stepping on the artificial grass. Without it, your artificial turf’s surface will be hard which is not very nice to step and walk on.
- Adds a layer of protection to your synthetic grass. As we’ve mentioned earlier, the infill acts like a shock absorbent to prevent your synthetic grass from being damaged due to excessive wear; this means that your lawn won’t wrinkle or fold when stepping on it. Your ankles and knees will also be less worn out thanks to the infill.
- It makes your synthetic grass look nicer. The infill helps to erect your synthetic grass which as we’ve mentioned earlier, makes it look more natural. A rarely mentioned aspect is that when the synthetic grass has a good structure, it is less likely to trap dirt and debris in it which makes the maintenance of your artificial lawn so much easier.
- It has anti-microbial properties which keep your lawn clean. Infills can help defeat bacteria which may accumulate due to factors such as rain, pet odours, and food bits. This can prevent issues like discoloration from happening.
How much infill do I need for my synthetic lawn?
There is no definite measurement for the amount of infill that you need for your lawn. A rule of thumb to follow is that your infill should be laid to a depth of 1/4 of your synthetic grass’ height.
This means that you will need about 2-3 kg of infill (5-6 lbs) to maintain your lawn. Generally, having too much infill is a better choice than having too little infill.
If you are unsure of how much you need, you can consult your synthetic grass provider and ask them about the details of your synthetic turf’s infill.
How much does it cost to lay infills on synthetic grass?
Over here at BuildMat, we have a 25kg bag of silica sand infill for $12 AUD.
We can’t provide an accurate estimate of the average cost due to differences such as business models and the infill material.
Our rates, however, are the best in the market. Our silica infill is also very high-quality and has been approved by national regulatory bodies.
How many times do I need to replace my infill?
Ideally, you’d want to replace it once every 3-4 years. If you are concerned about the structure of the grass, replacing it every year is not an issue but modern infills last for a very long time.
What if I don’t use infills or not replace it for a long time?
We don’t recommend doing that as it can:
- Damage your synthetic grass severely. Your synthetic turf will fold and wrinkle with each step which will severely decrease the lifetime of your synthetic grass.
- It will cost you more money to fix it. Fixing damaged synthetic grass is more expensive than maintaining it properly. If it reaches a point where a replacement is needed, you’re essentially losing money by not laying your infills every 3-4 years.
The Wikipedia page for synthetic grass is also useful if you would like to know more about the research and technical side of artificial grass.
Over here at BuildMat, we provide homeowners synthetic grass of the highest quality. Our price per square foot is very affordable and has a five-year warranty; you don’t have to worry about getting low-quality products. View our range of synthetic grass products.